08 January 2010

A consuming passion

I grew up in two different cultures obsessed by food.


My father is Italian and my mother is Lebanese, so basically I didn't stand a chance.

I love food. How can you not? We have three time periods in each day solely and completely dedicated to eating and I intend making the most of each one of them, and so does my family.

Italians plan their day around eating. Siesta's are conveniently planned after lunch which in our culture, is the biggest meal of the day. When Italians aren't eating food they're talking about food even straight after a meal when everyone is sitting around the table stuffed like pinata's, you are bound to hear "What's for dinner?" Italians are a spirited bunch, arguements are normally about who cooks better than whom and why the penne was late to the table.

And then there's the Lebanese who are so clever about their eating they created Tabouli. You see, parsley is the main ingredient in Tabouli, a herb that is known to counteract garlic and bad breath. I once heard the quote-
"Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good. "
The Lebanese live by this.

I feel lucky though, to have been born into these cultures, one thing they aren't lacking in is passion. Mealtime is more than just eating it's about togetherness, lively conversation and playful banter . But only after the plate is clean.

Happy Eating
Bianca

No comments:

Post a Comment